Monday, January 26, 2009

Memories vs. Dreams

I'm sitting in my office looking out the window at the fog and drizzle and realize I'm beginning to day dream. I'm a good daydreamer but I don't think I'm so good at dreaming at night. Is there anybody else out there who never remembers their dreams? My wife has vivid dreams and remembers every little detail, but I can't even remember dreaming. What does that mean? Ihave lots of memories, but no memories of dreams. Maybe I need a dream analyzer to help me out with this!

Amy and I had the opportunity to spend three days in Atlanta, Georgia this past October at the Catalyst Conference. Catalyst is the cutting edge conference for emerging church leaders. It is three days of heart pounding worship, inspiring messages from revolutionary communicators, and tantalyzing challenges that cannot be ignored. After sitting through the intensity of the three days, I get to the point where I can not take it anymore, and then I hear these words: "When your memories exceed your dreams, the end is near!"

WOW! How many days do I sit around and think or talk to others about the "good ole' days" versus how many days I sit around and think or talk to others about the "dreams of tomorrow?" How often do I wish it could "be the way it used to be" instead of "the way it should be?" How much time to I invest in "solving the problems of yesterday" instead of "planning the solutions of tomorrow?"
Suddenly, I feel like dreaming...

No comments:

Post a Comment